Tuesday, July 18, 2006

We climbed a 14er!




We climbed to 14,250 feet in the Rocky Mountains, to the top of Mt. Evans. Outdoorsy people refer to this as climbing a 14er. We didn't know this either. OK, full disclosure here... We drove the first 13, 700 feet to the visitor center and then hiked the last 500 feet to the top...but still...

It was quite an impressive site. Josh and Caroline drove us out there and pointed out many interesting things along the way. I don't know if any of you have been as high as 14000 feet, but it does kooky things to your head. Something about oxygen saturation and other stuff I used to know in my other life, but nevertheless, I was a bit loopy. Oh and we had to pull over on the road so I could throw up because of the combination of the altitude and curvy road. And maybe the beef jerky, but that could just be a coincidence.

So, anyway, by the time we got to the visitor center I was not at the top of my game. After a few minutes I felt much better acclimated but all it takes is a few steps and you really feel the altitude. I decided to sit on a rock instead of climbing and sent Josh, Caroline, Tim, Maddie and the dogs on their way.

In the end I decided to take my chances and climbed slowly to the top, sitting to rest at each switchback. Your body acclimates pretty quickly as long as you take it slowly. The rest of the crew was keeping a watchful eye on me and after a brief hike we were treated to spectacular 360 degree views of the Rocky Mountains. Coming back down was a breeze.

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried it, but I'm pretty sure beef jerky would make me throw up too.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Tim said...

-- they call it a pit stop. And then keep going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home