Thursday, February 08, 2007

Ouch!

Last week I went to the dentist for a regular check-up and cleaning. They found a problem with one of my 20 year old fillings and a crack in the tooth, so I had to have "emergency procedures" done. Not what I was expecting and not a good way to spend the afternoon.

Now that the emergency was fixed, I had to go back a week later to get the prep work for a crown to cover the ugly emergency fixed tooth. My appointment is for 1:00 in the afternoon, so I figure I'll go to work for a few hours, go to the torture chamber then take the afternoon off to rest my weary head. But I have to go back to the city anyway because I'm meeting a friend for the Caps game at the Verizon Center.

On Tuesday this week, I noticed a puddle of water in the basement directly under the kitchen sink. Yikes! We haven't spilled anything lately, nor run the dishwasher, so what's the problem? I can't find anything except a tiny drip right at the joint of the pipe. hmmm. I call the plumber and arrange for a guy to come out on Thursday morning. Now I won't go in the morning, go to the dentist at 1:00 and then go to work for a few hours before the hockey game. That plan will work for me.

The plumber will be at my home "between 7:00 am and noon" they tell me. He does come out, at 11:00 and plumbs for an hour or so, replacing the leaky shut off valve (not the pipe!) and I hustle to make it to the dentist at 12:57 for my 1:00 appointment. At 1:30, after I've asked twice about my 1:00 appointment ("the dentist is running a bit late") they take me in and sit me in the chair. Tools of torture on display on the tray.

1:45 and "the dentist" comes in. She immediately numbs the right side of my face. Wha? I thought this was going to be quick and painless? Not so, they need to clean up the tooth area and prep it for the crown. OK. wheeeeeee goes the drill and ZING goes my tooth.

NOT................ENOUGH...............F'ING.........................NOVACAINE!!!!!

"Oh, did you feel that?" the she-devil said.

"Why, yes, did the violent jerking of my head and grabbing at your wrist give you any indication I was a bit uncomfortable?"

We had that conversation two more times, and several "low dose" shots of novacaine before I submitted.

Not how I planned on spending my afternoon. After an hour and 15 minutes, they say I can go. I think this may have been the first time that I've ever sweated at the dentist.

Oh, and I have to go back in two weeks to make sure the crown fits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home